Friday, May 8, 2009

Love for potatoes in the time of down turn

You and me certainly have some preference over the food we wish to be in our plate. I hate to take potatoes. It was a never ending struggle for me to come in terms with the tenderness and sweetness of the plump mass. During my childhood I overpowered potatoes as my mother avoided potatoes in dishes she made exclusively for me. So I slept peacefully.

As part of the rat race I was replanted to an old city. I landed there in a bright hot evening. The city welcomed me with the debris of ancient fortune. Its crammed public transport, narrow lanes , "Keep distance otherwise get septic" conditioned vehicles and reckless driving habits bewildered me first but slowly I became a part of the crowd. Or sometimes I dissolved in its creeks gutters and the storming heat waves.

To my disgust I noticed omnipresence of Aloo in the city. That instantly kicked off the dormant rivalry between me and potatoes. It takes in different names and shapes and come to my plate during break fast noon meal and supper. I began to think the city as a potato city. If potatoes go for an indefinite strike, which is the course of life here! , obviously the city will starve to death. OHHH what a critical commodity!!!!

On the way I got a sweet friend who is also an ardent supporter of "anti- aloo- movement". we shared our worries on unending forms of Aloo in the city in our short term chit chats over Cornettos and even at short ride in auto rickshaw. We waged war against Aloo with increased vigor. I felt cool as I met one bird of same feather. (Twitter is not accessible from office otherwise I would have twitted the slogans we made to get ground support :))))

As usual while going through the news paper ( Even though news being pushed towards me through RSS feeds, I still like to read the head lines over a cup of tea and deep dive into it lying in my scrambled but cosy bed) I stuck up with some new equations being formed around the world. The known 'enemies' join hands to merge together. FIAT gonna gulp Chrysler, Porsche tying knots with VolksWagen. Here in India Nareh Goyal(Jet Airways) shake hands with Vijay Malliya(Kigfisher)and coming up with 'co-operative' agreements . All around existence rather excellence is the buzz word. Me too has to take that in rhythm. As I was hungry I reached the "Dabba" for my supper which was dominated by Aloo in different forms. I took a piece of Aloo and chewed it gently, the mass went peacefully down the throat.

If there is striking similarity in the "Love for potatoes in the time of down turn" with "love in the time of cholera" it is intentional not accidental

No comments:

Post a Comment